In April the MOT presenters at False Bay College started with the roll-out of the MOT programme at their 5 campuses – Westlake, Muizenberg, Good Hope, Fish Hoek and Mitchell’s Plain.
Under the passionate leadership of Karin Hendricks, Deputy CEO of Innovation & Development at False Bay College, the presenters were well aware of, and prepared for their important task of inspiring the students to develop greater personal insight and to build the platform for positive relationships.
Karin was part of the Fishhoek team, together with Wincine Vergotine and Monique Withering. Karin commented as follows after their first session:
“MOT creates a very energised space for students. Students love to talk about themselves and they all have opinions!! It was wonderful to see how they see themselves (expressed through their collages).
They also loved the bull’s eye and came up with interesting things which they wanted the group to reflect in their interaction e.g. the values and behaviour we aspire to during our engagement as a group.
I was very moved by their responses on what they thought “courage to live, care and to say No” means for them. I have not engaged with young people on this level in a long while and I feel energised and almost a re-connection to my education purpose. These two days connected me to my heart and why my heart is still so deep in education. These young people are our future and we can make a difference in their lives.”
According to Denver Beech, who coordinated the sessions at Westlake Campus, all the students felt the bull’s eye was a hit. Some other comments from the students included:
- It is very motivational and we do not get this kind of motivation in the classroo
- Life orientation should be like this.
- I came prepared to sleep because I thought it was about AIDS, but it was so exiting that I did not even think about sleeping.
- Now I know my fellow students a bit better.
- I now know how to treat each other because I know them.
- Our lecturers should be more positive like MOT presenters.
- Can’t we have this every second week?
- We can’t wait till July for the next session.
Well done to all our MOT presenters for inspiring our youth!