As we kick off the year 2023 with a reflection on all the ups and downs that we faced in 2022, we are most excited and look forward to what this year brings for us. Our theme for 2023 is #CouragetoCelebrate and this is a powerful theme that embodies the spirit of triumph and resilience. Read more about […]
What are Self-Affirmations?
What is a positive Self-Affirmation?
Positive affirmations are words you can say, either aloud or in your head, to affirm yourself, to strengthen and build you up and give you that extra push! They’re a way of helping overcome negative thoughts that can sometimes take over and make you doubt yourself.
Check out our Top 6 ways of practising self-affirmations every day:
- Start with 3 to 5 minutes at least twice a day – try saying affirmations upon waking up and getting into bed, for example, or even while you’re preparing for your day ahead.
- Set them in the present – act as if you’ve already achieved it!
- Repeat each affirmation about 5-10 times – Listen to yourself saying it, focusing on the words as they leave your mouth as you think about them. As you say them, believe them to be true.
- Listen to guided self-affirmations – Listening to someone else and repeating them may help reinforce your belief in them. Check out YouTube and Spotify for great options!
- Be consistent – Try not to skip any days. If you meditate, affirmations can be a great addition to your daily practice.
- Be patient – It may take some time before you notice any changes, so keep on going!
Let’s see ways on the positive impact and benefits that practising self-love affirmations daily have:
- It motivates you to act on certain things
- Help you to concentrate on achieving your goals and dreams
- Increased happiness
- Reduces negative thoughts and helps replace them with positive thinking patterns,
- Boosts your self-confidence and self-belief and self-worth
Credit: Cleveland Clinic Healthline
Check out our MOT Youth Blogger of the Month – Nkgetheleng Gloria Bocheletsana here
Nkgetheleng is a MOT Youth and Alumnus from False Bay TVET College, Khayelitsha Campus.
In her blog, Nkgetheleng shares the MOT Programme’s positive impact on her life. “It has completely changed my mindset because now I know how to communicate effectively, think positively during negative situations, and show empathy and respect towards my peers, no matter their backgrounds.”